Friday, March 23, 2012

Print My Blog!

It happened.  It finally happened!  I printed my blog into a book.  It dawned on me sometime in 2008 that I would really hate to lose access to my blog -- or to have to pay to view my content.  And I am only medium to low on the tech-savvy scale, so I could very easily have deleted the whole shebang with an errant keystroke.  And so in 2008, I set out Kassi and Ben to get me a copy of my blog, in any format --didn't care if they printed it on a dot matrix printer screen by screen, I just wanted a copy, somehow.  (I didn't do this myself, my screen time was erstwhile spent blogging of course.)

They put in the hours.  With several websites that offered the service.  They put in calls to tech support.  They tried at various times over the last few years.  We came close on occasion, but no cigar.  Too many posts.  No way to import.  No way to organize.  Blah blah blah, always something.

I was bitten by the bug again and set out to try it myself.  Now I am not going to harp that if you want something done right, you need to do it yourself and that I am the only genius able to figure this out -- truly, I think it was luck of the timing and that technology finally caught up to what I needed.

And so I present to you:  www.blog2print.com .  And wow, was I skeptical.  I mean their website really leaves much to be desired.  And their interface is terribly clunky...but clearly intuitive enough for me to easily maneuver.  Really, after a couple of clicks, it said to enter my blog address.  I did and it created a sample book.  Easy Peasy.  Did a few different trials to get a sense of pricing.

Next question is are they legit?  Cuz these books cost a lot of $.  Think like $75 - $125 if you have a lot of posts like someone I know.  And I had to do it in 2 volumes.  But I smartly waited until the first one arrived.  Hard cover and pages all shiny and glossy like a yearbook.  I did not change a thing on the layout...didn't want a masterpiece, just the posts and didn't want to go down the rabbit hole of over-editing.  Even with their standard layout, it turned out great, IMHO.  And it arrived 2 weeks earlier than planned.  And so, they were legit and they earned my trust and $ to order the second book - which will arrive in April.

They are not paying me to write this post.  They should be.  If I was a better blogger, they would be...but I am sharing for those other blogger mamas (or their husbands who need gift ideas) who might be in the same boat as me.  Only after I ordered all my books (and now I do get spam from them) did I see they have a "refer a friend" and get some kind of credit.  So if you want me to email you the link I'd be happy to get some credit, but won't need a new book myself until next year.

Happy Memory Making.

3 comments:

Mindy said...

I must do this! I've been trying to make "yearbooks" through iphoto since we never print out pictures to make traditional photo albums. I'm sorely behind - but, if I could deal with the blog in a few clicks...hmm...can't wait to see your finished product!

Kate said...

Did it keep your captions with your photos, like under them or above them, or did that part get all jumbled up?

benandsherie said...

Kate - I just checked and NO! the captions did not appear with the pictures. Just as paragraphs around the post, so all the text was there, but not with the actual picture. Didn't notice this until you asked. I don't mind the look and I could easily tell which was which. I might use captions less for my future posts...